Single-file restore and LVM

xPakrikx

Jan 15, 2019
inanis.xyz
Hi

Today i tested single file restore with LVM in VM but its not supported.

Code:
proxmox-file-restore failed: Error: mounting 'drive-scsi0.img.fidx/part/2' failed: all mounts failed or no supported file system (500)

Is there any roadmap or supported FSs for single-file restore ?

Hi, this has already been brought up, so far only "normal" file systems like ext and I think even ntfs have been implemented. They are working on support for volume managers like lvm and zfs, should be avaible SoonTM

Reactions: Sourcenux
Me too - as all VMs are running with LVM at the moment. Can we expect this feature for 2021 ?

My 2 cents:

It looks like Proxmox web interface for File Restore hasn’t got national language symbols support at all :(
NTFS, can’t see cyrillic file names or directories, only english items. Very sad and frustrating.

CyrillicFileRestore.png

P.S. proxmox-backup-client map and guestmount shows cyrillic names OK.

Last edited:
I like the Proxmox staff... latest update has fixed Cyrillic (UTF-8 mount options) in PBS File Restore names.
THANKS!
CyrillicFileRestoreOK.png

I am also very interested in it working with lvm

I'll subscribe to this thread... I look forward for updates!

LVM (thin) and ZFS file restore is now available in the latest PVE versions. Note that this requires an up-to-date PVE more than PBS, since the file-restore runs on the PVE node.

I like the Proxmox staff... latest update has fixed Cyrillic (UTF-8 mount options) in PBS File Restore names.
THANKS!
This was an issue specifically with NTFS (you can see the fix here). If you find such issues, don't hestitate to report them in our bugtracker as well, or open a new thread here in the forum.

LVM (thin) and ZFS file restore is now available in the latest PVE versions. Note that this requires an up-to-date PVE more than PBS, since the file-restore runs on the PVE node.

This was an issue specifically with NTFS (you can see the fix here). If you find such issues, don't hestitate to report them in our bugtracker as well, or open a new thread here in the forum.
Yes, file restore from LVM is working. But i think there is a bug with dash in VG name ?
When VG name contains dash character, LV fails to mount.

hi. Should this be working now with

Package: proxmox-backup-file-restore
Architecture: amd64
Version: 1.1.12-1

I'm still seeing this. We have a single VG in the VM I'm working with, only letters in the name.

"proxmox-file-restore failed: Error: mounting 'drive-virtio0.img.fidx/part/["1"]' failed: all mounts failed or no supported file system (500)"

Thanks

I tested yesterday the file restore after updating proxmox 7 and pve 2 but still error on lvm with - in the name (ok with zfs).

Ok so after update to latest packages from no subscription repo.

Code:
proxmox-file-restore failed: Error: starting VM timed out (500)

Code:
proxmox-backup-client: 2.0.5-2
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.0.5-2

Last edited:
Same here, but not only with LVM, all backend storage are concerned.

Code:
proxmox-file-restore failed: Error: starting VM timed out (500)

Code:
()
proxmox-ve: 7.0-2 (running kernel: 5.11.22-1-pve)
pve-manager: 7.0-10 (running version: 7.0-10/d2f465d3)
pve-kernel-5.11: 7.0-5
pve-kernel-helper: 7.0-5
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-4
pve-kernel-5.11.22-2-pve: 5.11.22-4
pve-kernel-5.11.22-1-pve: 5.11.22-2
pve-kernel-5.4.124-1-pve: 5.4.124-1
pve-kernel-5.4.34-1-pve: 5.4.34-2
ceph: 16.2.5-pve1
ceph-fuse: 16.2.5-pve1
corosync: 3.1.2-pve2
criu: 3.15-1+pve-1
glusterfs-client: 9.2-1
ifupdown: not correctly installed
ifupdown2: 3.1.0-1+pmx2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libknet1: 1.21-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.2.0
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.2.0-1
libpve-access-control: 7.0-4
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.0-5
libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.0-2
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.0-2
libpve-storage-perl: 7.0-9
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1
lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1
lxc-pve: 4.0.9-4
lxcfs: 4.0.8-pve2
novnc-pve: 1.2.0-3
proxmox-backup-client: 2.0.5-2
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.0.5-2
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.2-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.3-5
pve-cluster: 7.0-3
pve-container: 4.0-8
pve-docs: 7.0-5
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20200531-1
pve-firewall: 4.2-2
pve-firmware: 3.2-4
pve-ha-manager: 3.3-1
pve-i18n: 2.4-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 6.0.0-2
pve-xtermjs: 4.12.0-1
qemu-server: 7.0-10
smartmontools: 7.2-pve2
spiceterm: 3.2-2
vncterm: 1.7-1
zfsutils-linux: 2.0.5-pve1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!