Single Drive NVME & ZFS for Data (ext4 root)

MrPaul

Apr 27, 2019
I understand that I cannot use the whole drive for ZFS due to UEFI & Grub issues but I'm hoping I can get something that still fits my needs. I've installed this on my PC using ext4 and allocated 32G to Proxmox during the install.

Is there a way that I can dedicate the remainder of the drive to using zfs? I've tried creating a zpool but it's requiring the entire drive so I'm hoping I'm missing something.

Is there a way that I can dedicate the remainder of the drive to using zfs? I've tried creating a zpool but it's requiring the entire drive so I'm hoping I'm missing something.

If you create a partition for ZFS and use this, it'll just work. There is no technical limitation on what file (block device or actual file) you run ZFS, it is not recommended, but it still works. Having the Boot loader on a special, small partition is however supported.

You can have a single device for ZFS with GRUB (legacy boot) and UEFI boot, but it does not work out-of-the-box for other setups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!