Simple routine apt update && upgrade / migration mandatory?

yjjoe

Dec 27, 2021
The question is in the title. Do I need to live migrate everytime some new package are available? Does not doing full-upgrade prevent from breaking the cluster when changes are two wide?

Example: I'm at 7.2-7. There is 11 packages I can upgrade. On what parameter should I keep an eye to avoid or to do upgrade when the gap of release in thin.

Thx!

Last edited:
You don't need to live-migrate on any package upgrade. In Linux, in most cases, when a program starts it loads all the necessary binaries/libraries in memory and does not re-read them during normal operations. Hence one can replace all the files behind it without affecting the running process.

This means that after the upgrade, in most cases, the changes that came with the new version are not applied.

Generally, there are two types of things that get upgraded: userland and kernel. For userland changes (qemu,Perl,etc) you need to restart the process for the update to take effect. For Kernel you need to reboot (in most cases).
Specifically for PVE: if you need new Kernel functionality - you need to reboot; if you need new PVE - you need to restart services; if you need new Qemu fixes - you need to restart the VM.

Some packaged upgrades include service restart in them - that's up to the distributor and how they assembled the upgrade. Sometimes you can control that behavior.

If you haven't yet caught on to all the hedging - it depends.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: yjjoe
Thanks a bunch for your reply. So, in what case we need to be super prudent and do a live migrate, is it when we do a dist-upgrade from major release? I still don't understand why there is so many people that support the idea of doing live migrate at some point.

Thanks!

Thanks a bunch for your reply. So, in what case we need to be super prudent and do a live migrate, is it when we do a dist-upgrade from major release? I still don't understand why there is so many people that support the idea of doing live migrate at some point.

Thanks!

When QEMU and LXC packages change, you have to either migrate or restart the VM / Container to have them running on the newest package.

Reactions: yjjoe

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!