Simple(?) network config Q: how can I create a private network for a set of interfaces?

starkruzr

So, the usual network interface reserved to get bridged onto the "real" LAN to which your hosts are connected is working fine. What I'd like to do, for the sake of setting up an HPC environment, is have a separate, private network space accessible by another set of virtual adapters that can act as the dedicated HPC network. I'd prefer it if it were possible to have this network shared between both my hosts, but if it has to be on just one host that's fine too.

Does anyone know how to set this up?

for just one host this is easy: create a new bridge (e.g. vmbr1) with no attached network adapters

bridges act like a switch so in that case it is a virtual switch inside your host, every vm you attach can only communicate with vms attached to the same switch

Reactions: starkruzr
Thanks for this. What if I wanted it to span hosts?
that is a different story, you would need to have a tunnel between the two bridges over the physical lan
if you have a free nic, you could use that to create an isolated physical network between your hosts and connect the bridges to it
or if you have managed switches, you could do this with vlans

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!