Shutdown proxmox on VM shutdown?

rumble06

Jul 12, 2019
I'm new using proxmox, this is the first day I tried it, successfully managed to passthrough the single GPU present in the PC, waiting for an pcie extender to come from aliexpress because there is no physical space to install the second GPU because of the first.

My main usage for Proxmox is having one main Windows VM, where I do my work and then a second VM that I will fire up whenever I want to play something with one of my friends (like a lan party) or whenever I have some work to do that needs virtual machines or running software on linux. I do tend to use VMs when I do my work on the PC, so this will make my life easier. Proxmox works pretty good for me, my VM starts with proxmox, however there is one thing I want to achieve and currently I'm not sure how (I'm thinking of making a bash script or something to shutdown the VM that will also send a shutdown signal to the proxmox API, if there is something like a shutdown signal for the api) however I would like to find better solutions than a bash script to shutdown the computer. It would be nice if the result will be like just pressing the windows shutdown button on the VM and it will also shutdown the host (proxmox), this will make my life easier whenever someone else uses my PC and they do not have the knowledge of running a bash script to shut down it.

you can use hookscripts (see man qm for details) where you shutdown the host after the vm was powered down

Reactions: rumble06
you can use hookscripts (see man qm for details) where you shutdown the host after the vm was powered down
Thanks, will look into it and I'll try to make a hookscript for my usecase (shutdown host on vm shutdown) and come back with the script for the people that need the same thing as me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!