Shrink Windows XP raw image for VM

gfngfn256

Mar 29, 2023
Firstly I would like to thank the Proxmox PVE staff for their excellent and tireless work in providing, such a robust system (been using for about a year now) - it just rocks!

Secondly thanks to the staff and all contributors for such an excellent forum platform. It is possibly one of the most useful - if not THE best - in the IT world! Kudos to all!

Recently I have felt that I should return something (small but possibly useful) to the community. I decided to share my notes that I have used on one of my projects.

Background: I have an old Laptop/Netbook from almost 20 years ago that runs Windows XP 32 bit (when it decides to turn on & waiting a few minutes to boot - I believe its one of the original Atom chips!).

My problem is I have many much-needed documents on it - that use a dedicated program within that environment, that won't run elsewhere.
What I did - Booted up above Laptop/Netbook with a live Linux USB (it has no cd/dvd) and used Linux DD to save a complete block raw image of its HD - this took a LONG time on my HD!

After that I spun up a new VM in Proxmox PVE using this image as its HD (referred in this post as VM <VMID> ), got everything working (not very hard) -
[Had to re-authenticate Windows XP by telephone - because of hardware changes!)

The Windows XP VM <VMID> now boots up in second/s - probably faster than the laptop/netbook by about a factor of 100x! THANKS PROXMOX PVE!!!

However after cleaning up the running Windows XP by deleting unnecessary files, I quickly realized I was using about 30% of the actual disk space (150GB).
Since I like to backup the Windows XP image often, this massive file is quite unnecessary, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. Here is the procedure. YMMV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - BACKUP AND THEN BACKUP!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to: Shrink Windows XP (C: Boot Drive) NTFS image.raw drive (for VM <VMID> on Proxmox)

1. Defragment HD (from running within) Windows XP VM <VMID> & shutdown VM

2. First Backup the original image (in tmux since this can be a lengthy process):

Code:
tmux
cp /path/to/location/images/<VMID>/image.raw /path/to/backup/location/image.raw

3. Add a SystemRescueCd CD/DVD disc image file (iso) to VM <VMID> and make sure it appears in VM <VMID> boot options

4. Start VM <VMID> by pressing ESC to enter SystemRescueCD GUI boot

5. Run Gparted (and apply changes!) to dev/path/to/WindowsXP/partition
Resize accordingly ONLY AT THE END OF PARTITION - IN FREE SPACE AREA
(I also left a bit of available space).

6. Reboot VM <VMID> to Windows XP - chkdsk was automatically run because of partition change. I rebooted again for software changes.

7. Check everything works. Your C: drive should now only show the new shrinked size.

8. Shutdown Windows XP VM <VMID>

9. In Proxmox host SSH (or shell from GUI):

Code:
fdisk -l '/path/to/location/images/<VMID>/image.raw'

Disk /path/to/location/images/<VMID>/image.raw: xxx.xx GiB, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx bytes,  xxxxxxxxxx sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Device                                      Boot    Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
/path/to/location/images/<VMID>/image.raw1            xx  xxxxxxxxx  xxxxxxxx   x.xG xx xxxxxxxx
/path/to/location/images/<VMID>/image.raw2 *    xxxxxxxx YYYYYYYYY xxxxxxxxx xxx.xG  x HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

10. Find from above, the End number of the boot partition - in example above thats image.raw2 "YYYYYYYYY" and copy this number as follows:

Code:
truncate --size=$[(YYYYYYYYY+1)*512] '/path/to/location/images/<VMID>/image.raw'

11. Run this to tell Proxmox PVE of changed file (no changes will yet be made):

Code:
qm rescan --vmid <VMID> --dryrun

12. Check output looks OK, and then run this to make changes:

Code:
qm rescan --vmid <VMID>

That's it you should be done - you will now see that the image file has shrunk accordingly.
I believe it also boots faster!

Enjoy YMMV

AND again:

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - BACKUP AND THEN BACKUP!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!