Shouldn't ProxMox warn if VLAN is used without "VLAN Aware"?

MrPete

Aug 6, 2021
I just caused myself some serious grief, breaking our network for hours. I've solved the problem... but I believe ProxMox could easily help users to avoid this issue.

A bit of background
  • I have a four port (I350) Intel network card with SR-IOV capability. It's been wonderful.
  • One of the ports is used as a multi-VLAN trunk by pfSense. Until now, ProxMox didn't need to know anything about that. It just works.
The problem
  • I wanted to give another VM access to one of the VLANs
  • I added a (virtio) network device, on the proper VLAN
  • Didn't seem to do anything, so I removed it again
  • My entire network was busted. Rebooting pfSense didn't help. Packets would go in one direction but not the other, and other strange effects.
  • The only solution: reboot the ProxMox host
The ACTUAL problem
Turns out, to use a VLAN on a VM network device you MUST:
  • Check "VLAN Aware" when configuring the VM bridge on the ProxMox host
  • reboot the host ("apply configuration" is not enough)
Two Key Questions
  • Is there any valid purpose for using a VLAN id on a VM network device, without setting "VLAN Aware"?
  • Wouldn't it make sense to warn users when a VLAN id is used, without VLAN Aware checked?
  • (In fact, perhaps VLAN Aware could be auto-checked... and a warning given that the ProxMox host may need a reboot!)

Reactions: Xtra
without vlan aware, it's working too. It's just that the tagging in done on the physical interface instead the bridge.

something like, for example vlan10

with a default conf like

eth0--> vmbr0 (non vlan-aware)

setting a vm on vmbr0, with tag=10, proxmox will create in background:

eth0--->eth0.10---->vmbr0v10 ----->vm

(the tag is set when going out though eth0.10)

But this block vlan10 to vmbr0 if you had a vm with a trunk , like pfsense.
(as the vlan10 packet is now fowarded to vmbr0v10)

Last edited:
Reactions: leesteken
I can say, from painful experience doing a pile of WireShark/tcpdump scans at various physical points points on the network:

If I have:
* a trunked vmbrX connection with no VLAN aware, used just as a trunk (works just fine, any number of VLAN's set up by pfSense there)
* and I build and destroy another instance on vmbrX using a VLAN for another VM
* THEN, it's almost random whether packets will go out or be seen for any given VLAN, until I reboot the host with the extra instance gone.
(SOME VLANs worked just fine. Some were completely broken)

I checked: inside the pfSense VM, in a monitor of the trunk, in a port defined to capture each VLAN after trunk breakout.

So "block vlan10 to vmbr0" is actually random. And not useful. ;)

I just caused myself some serious grief, breaking our network for hours. I've solved the problem... but I believe ProxMox could easily help users to avoid this issue.

A bit of background
  • I have a four port (I350) Intel network card with SR-IOV capability. It's been wonderful.
  • One of the ports is used as a multi-VLAN trunk by pfSense. Until now, ProxMox didn't need to know anything about that. It just works.
The problem
  • I wanted to give another VM access to one of the VLANs
  • I added a (virtio) network device, on the proper VLAN
  • Didn't seem to do anything, so I removed it again
  • My entire network was busted. Rebooting pfSense didn't help. Packets would go in one direction but not the other, and other strange effects.
  • The only solution: reboot the ProxMox host
The ACTUAL problem
Turns out, to use a VLAN on a VM network device you MUST:
  • Check "VLAN Aware" when configuring the VM bridge on the ProxMox host
  • reboot the host ("apply configuration" is not enough)
Two Key Questions
  • Is there any valid purpose for using a VLAN id on a VM network device, without setting "VLAN Aware"?
  • Wouldn't it make sense to warn users when a VLAN id is used, without VLAN Aware checked?
  • (In fact, perhaps VLAN Aware could be auto-checked... and a warning given that the ProxMox host may need a reboot!)
I've spent 3 days trying to figure out why opnsense running on proxmox wouldn't connect to my new ISP that needed VLAN 911 tagging to get a WAN IP.
You sir are a legend.

Reactions: MrPete

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!