Should migration be possible with VirtIO NG?

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Since i added the virtio ng device to my Ubuntu 20.04 VM's i'am not able to live migrate the vm's anymore. After livemigrate the VM's goes into stuckstate. Debian 10 the same. Here is my VM-Config:
Code:
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0;net0
cores: 32
cpuunits: 900
description: bla
efidisk0: SSD-vmdata:vm-115-disk-0,size=1M
hotplug: disk,network,usb,memory,cpu
memory: 4096
name: ubudev.osit.cc
net0: virtio=5A:87:1B:E7:DE:BB,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 1
onboot: 1
ostype: l26
rng0: source=/dev/urandom
scsi0: SSD-vmdata:vm-115-disk-1,discard=on,size=35G,ssd=1
scsi1: SSD-vmdata:vm-115-disk-2,discard=on,size=4G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
serial0: socket
smbios1: uuid=5353083-f64c-4eac-9fbc-c76baeff
sockets: 1
vcpus: 8

pve-manager/7.0-11/63d82f4e (running kernel: 5.11.22-4-pve)

Was there something you needed to do in Ubuntu so the guest actually can make use of the virtio RNG? I also added them to my VMs but didn't changed anything in my VMs so I was wondering if they are used at all.

It is clearly a different problem and not directly related to migration. Did some tests today with many migrations. It occurs even without virtio NG. Both behaves very sporadically. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

The fact is that the VM continues to run on the second proxmoxhost for a good 10 seconds after the migration. After that it freezes and fortunately there is an error message on the syslogserver.

Code:
Okt 24 19:12:40 monitor kernel: #PF: error_code(0x0003) - permissions violation
Okt 24 19:12:39 monitor kernel: #PF: supervisor write access in kernel mode
Okt 24 19:12:39 monitor kernel: BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffffffffa4e72067

Reads wicked... :rolleyes: I'll try a different kernel. Maybe Proxmox 7 needs newer guest kernels.
---

Addendum: No, it was not the kernel. VM is dead again.
Last message before death:
Code:
Okt 24 19:32:00 monitor qemu-ga[603]: info: guest-fsfreeze called

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!