Should I use VLAN, NAT or Openvswitch?

May 18, 2019
Varies
In PVE 6.0.2, I have a host with 2 NICs, a /29 static hooked up to one NIC (nothing so far hooked up to the other) and multiple guests that listen for incoming connections. There is a bridge setup (so far not vlan aware), and guests have public net access.

what is the recommended setup for routing each incoming connection on specific ports to each guest? I do not need different guests listening on the same IP: port (don't think that is even possible), but some guests will need to listen on the same port under a different IP

Node GUI and SSH will be filtered out to a specific (private) IP set.

What is the proper way to roll this out? Should I use VLAN, NAT or openvswitch?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahmad Dhamiri
I'm parking in this thread since I need to know too about creating multiple port groups / bridges from a single NIC card.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!