Should I enable "SSD Emulation" for ceph images?

cclloyd

Dec 4, 2018
If I give a VM a hard drive from a ceph pool that uses only SSDs (separate pool for HDD), should I enable "SSD emulation" when creating the disk for the VM?

"SSD Emulation" only tells the guest OS to treat the disk as a non-spinning disk (afaik it just sets the rotation rate to 0). It really shouldn't matter for most situations.

"Discard" on the other hand has a noticeable effect, read our documentation for more on that.

Reactions: blackpaw
"SSD Emulation" only tells the guest OS to treat the disk as a non-spinning disk (afaik it just sets the rotation rate to 0). It really shouldn't matter for most situations.

For windows guests would it inform Windows that it should issue trim requests?

No, that's the discard flag. In general, don't hesitate to open a new thread, instead of bumping really old ones.

Reactions: blackpaw

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!