Should I configure an Internal Proxmox Network?

TEB0605

Jul 27, 2023
Hello All

I have tried finding a good answer on this to no avail, apologies if this has been asked before.

I have proxmox running a TrueNAS VM and a Linux VM, the TrueNAS vm has about 40TB in raid storage configured with the Hard Drives passed through directly to the VM, I am wondering if there would be a performance benefit to setting up an internal proxmox network for all the VMs to communicate with one another?

My theory being that right now when the Linux VM accesses data on the TrueNAS vm through the SMB share, it has to go out to my router first and then back to the TrueNAS VM.

Is it possible to set up a "Proxmox Internal" network so the Linux VM can access the Data stored on the same server but in a different VM faster? Would there be any benefit to implementing a Internal network? Is there a faster method to access the Data on the TrueNAS RAID within another Linux VM?

TIA

I am also wondering if my limitation is actually setting up a SMB / CIFS share on the linux side and if there is a better way I should be doing this?

Why do you think it passes through the router? Is the Linux interface that is mounting in a different network than the TrueNAS box that is offering the share?
If they are in the same broadcast domain, they are probably on the same bridge interface so they don't leave your server. Or they are on the same LAN on different Proxmox servers, but that's layer 2 switching, not router, so that shouldn't be much of a performance hit.

Reactions: _gabriel
Why do you think it passes through the router? Is the Linux interface that is mounting in a different network than the TrueNAS box that is offering the share?
If they are in the same broadcast domain, they are probably on the same bridge interface so they don't leave your server. Or they are on the same LAN on different Proxmox servers, but that's layer 2 switching, not router, so that shouldn't be much of a performance hit.
Thank you for your reply, I guess I had an incorrect understanding of how the networking side of things works. Both the Linux and TrueNAS box are in the same network

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!