shell does not show file path

GhostUser

New Member
Oct 13, 2023
6
0
1
Hi, I'm using a acc that I created on the server. I just logged into the shell and it doesn't show the file path, it just shows "$"
Can I somehow let me see the file path in the shell?
 
This, of course, doesnt have anything to do with PVE as hypervisor and falls under basic Linux system administration.
There are many variable here, I am going to list just a few:
a) you are not using BASH, what does "echo $SHELL" say?
b) you did not set appropriate permissions on .bashrc that you copied from root home, what does "ls -al .bashrc" in your user directory say?
c) you didnt edit/set the PS1 value correctly, review everything again and present actual outputs of files here

good luck


Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
 
I'll necro this just for others, if they get the same issue. The main reason is due to default shell being set to sh, not bash. Change the shell in /etc/passwd for the created user from /bin/sh to /bin/bash and re-login.
 
"/bin/sh" usually already is a link. For example to "dash" in a Debian install. So one option would be to have that link point somewhere else.

This can be achieved in many different ways, however as already pointed out: This is a general topic and is not really suitable for the specific Proxmox forums.
Basic Linux (administration) knowledge should be a GIVEN, when you want to start using Proxmox. Otherwise you are more or less in for trouble.