Sharing xtermjs connection between users

agorski992

Sep 22, 2021
Hello everyone,
I want to achieve the possibility of sharing one connection between several users by connecting via xtermjs (which uses a serial console), much like now it is possible through novnc. In novnc cosnole, having one link, I can view and interact with commands entered by several users at the same time.novnc.png
In xtermjs, another connection to the console hangs and waits for the first to be terminated.
xtermjs.png
Is it possible to make such a shared connection in xterm js console ? Or any tips on how this could be achieved ? I want to use this functionality in xterm because text manipulation (copy, select etc) works much better than in novnc. I want to use the same connection sharing for training purpose so that several users can see the same on their screen. I will be grateful for any tips.

You can use screen or tmux for that.

Code:
apt update && apt install screen

Create a screen session
Code:
screen -S sessionxyz

Others can join it using
Code:
screen -x sessionxyz

You can use screen or tmux for that.

Code:
apt update && apt install screen

Create a screen session
Code:
screen -S sessionxyz

Others can join it using
Code:
screen -x sessionxyz
Thank you for your reply. This solution assumes that the user already has access to the machine, suppose via ssh. I want the proxmox user to be able to access to host via a browser having a link to the xtermjs connection.

That's not possible with proxmox.

You would need to setup a desktop gateway like apache guacamole or myrtille.

Thank you for your reply. This solution assumes that the user already has access to the machine, suppose via ssh. I want the proxmox user to be able to access to host via a browser having a link to the xtermjs connection.
Well, SSH connection is not directly necessary for that, but yes, the user will always need to log-in on the xterm.js console and then execute the tmux attach or screen -S sessionxyz commands

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!