Sharing Proxmox Helper Scripts

Tmanok

Hey everyone,

Found some nifty PVE setup scripts today on Reddit that I plan on utilizing very soon. https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/

Have not tested these yet, however a few admins online used them with success and apparently it saved them quite a bit of time. Personally, I will use them simply as a learning tool, basically to break down the script and input each command in manually after better understanding the commands.

I do not recommend the random usage of online scripts, no matter who claims to have made them and I suggest that nobody else randomly runs scripts without a very thorough investigation of their own. That includes the scripts in the link!

Cheers everyone!

Tmanok

Please note:
After a brief inspection, there are a few things to edit in these scripts and acknowledge.
  • The LXC scripts download other smaller scripts within them. E.g. to setup the services within the VM (for Jellyfin, Pi-Hole, etc) you should inspect these scripts for yourself.
  • These scripts have generic default values for everything from resources to networking but you should modify them after they have been setup or in the case of the default network bridge (vmbr0) modify the script to choose your LXC internet bridge so that the setup may complete (because the main script tells the lxc to download an additional setup script for the remaining internal services).
  • The hostname and networking is set for you, rather than asking the admin running the script- you can change these by setting your own variables prior to running the script.
  • You may wish to identify whether the container is set as nested, unprivileged, etc prior to running these scripts.
I will personally be asking the script author to include some optional questions with default available (e.g. ask the user to choose a hostname, networking, privileged or not).

Thanks everyone,

Tmanok

FWIW, if you select Manual DHCP during install and when it asks Please set DHCP reservation and press Enter. you can open a new browser tab, open Proxmox and edit that LXC (Bridge, VLAN Tag, hostname, ect...) then go back to the original Proxmox tab and press enter to start the LXC with your changed settings.

And yes, always remember to use due diligence when sourcing scripts and automation tasks from third-party sites.
If you're not sure about the validity of a script, seek help. Lot's of resources out there to verify that a script is not doing something shady.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!