[SOLVED] Sharing a ZFS pool between nodes over SAN (fiber) for virtual disks

IT Hero

Aug 21, 2019
Dear Proxmox community :)

I would like to build a Proxmox infrastructure with several nodes connected to a SAN through Fiber.

I plan to store virtual disks on a ZFS pool which will then be shared through all nodes.

One SAN disk will be seen as local drive (using device mapper/multipath) and it will be used as vdev in my ZFS pool.

Proxmox will then create a new dataset for each virtual drive.

I know that this works with LVM, but is it a recipe for disaster in the case of a ZFS/zpool ?
will there be corruption if several machines believe they're the sole owner of the zpool ?

Thanks for any light on this :)

Leo

Hello Leo! SAN through fiber, does it mean that you can see the LUNs in the host or does your storage support ISCSI?
Hi proxminent !

all my nodes see the LUNs (through 8Gb fiber, connected over a Fiber switch)
the backend storage itself can provide iSCSI but over 1Gb

Ok. SAN Modell ?

I think, the best option is to use LVM on top of FC-based storage.
This gives you LVM an shared storage (block) and live migration.
disadvantage: No Snapshots
Yes, LVM would work, I used it on another setup.

This time I would like to use ZFS. It is working on iSCSI because the target expose the zvols. But can it work directly on a shared zpool.

This sounds more like a ZFS question actually.

So each Proxmox node would manage the zvols that are used by its VMs/Containers but would not touch the rest.

But is there some race condition if 2 nodes try to modify the zpool (pseudo)simultaneously and corruption occurs.

Do I need to fence stuff like in clusters ? or does Proxmox do it alone ?

So, for future reference, I answer my own question:

On its own, ZFS is NOT cluster-aware.

If you want to access a zpool from several machines at once, you have to build a cluster using such tools as corosync, pacemaker and fence your drives etc... (which is a whole other topic).

Btw, LVM is also NOT cluster-aware (https://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/sharinglvm1.html), but Proxmox does it magic with clustering and makes it work. To my knowledge, it does not the same with ZFS, so you have to do it yourself/use ZFS over iSCSI.

I suppose a mod can now close this :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!