shared-storage suggestions

Freemind

Feb 2, 2013
Hi,

we want to build a new shared-storage for a 4-node pve-cluster. Now we're unsure about best performance. I think RAID-10 is faster than RAID-50, but could ZFS(RAID-Z2) might be better?

Currently we use a hardware-RAID from adaptec with 14 HDDs à 3TB and 4x 250SSD in maxCache as RAID50. Performance is ok, but rebuild takes days and slows down the performance.

If RAID-10 is the way to go, how would you implement SSD-Cache in Linux without Hardware-RAID?

Please post your suggestions, thank you beforehand!

greetings,
freemind

Hi,
I have tried ZFS-Raid-Z2 and the performance is much lower (on my test hardware) than an hardware raid (raid 6 and raid 10 of course too).
The load of the server goes up during IO...

And you can't expand raid-z2 (only with another raid-z2). I decide for the old-style hardware raid.

Udo

Of course ZFS is slower in comparison to RAIDx with respect to raw peformance, but you get so many (!!) advantages like compression, snapshots, send/receive, clones, check-summing (best feature ever!), etc. So depending on your workload it can be much faster and much safer than good-old-RAID.

The problem you face is also how to get the ZFS to your cluster. Normally, a cluster has to have high availability everywhere, from the storage up, so ZFS does not fit into this picture.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!