Shared storage LVM over iscsi migration

psalet

Jul 17, 2020
Hi All,

Prelim info:
Proxmox Version: 8.09
Server: Dell R630
Storage: Pure storage
I am creating a new proxmox cluster to replace individual pve hosts. The servers are connecting to pure storage using lvm over iscsi.

I have connected the pure storage to the new cluster using a single volume. It is seen by the two test hosts, I was doing a test where I was tried to migrate a host from one PVE host to the other. When I did the migrate VM in the GUI it cloned the from vm-vmid-disk0 to vm-vmid-disk1. I thought the only thing the migration needed to do was move the VM "VMID.conf" to the second pve host as the storage was the same.

Is there something I am missing in the configuration of the pve host for sharing the storage so it does not clone the drive.

Thanks, All help is appreciated

Did you enable the "shared" checkbox on the LVM storage?

No, I was still searching for info about that. Do I select shared on each pve host that the same storage is connected to. ( I figure I should but I have to ask)

Wow, I should get used to clustering. One location to change the data to switch.

I presume you are referring to ONLY storage migration and that you are using LVM over ISCSI for your provisioning. If that true, then I believe that the storage is created ONLY on the first node. After creating it - using the 'shared option' then you can create the storage on the other cluster servers but do not check the 'shared' option and point it to the storage location that you created in/on the first node..

I'm just confirming what you have stated, Before adding a new pve host to a cluster, make sure the host can access the the storage. Once it is added to the cluster it will reconnect as shared storage to the new pve host. It will not make the connection to the storage IF it was not done prior to adding it to the cluster. ( i hope I said the right)
It works, it is only 5 seconds to do a live migration. I can't ask for more.
Thanks, again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!