Share files between host and VM (without network)

Sensiva

Jan 4, 2019
Hello

Is there a way to share files between host and VM (specially Windows VMs) without implementing network related solutions?

Like in Oracle Virtualbox where I can specify in the guest configuration a path of a directory in the host filesystem and have it mounted inside the VM in read/write.

I searched the forum for an answer, but all I found were solutions based on sharing files over network, which isn't applicable for VMs that don't even have network adapters and can't have any.

Thanks in advance

Is there a way to share files between host and VM (specially Windows VMs) without implementing network related solutions?

No

Like in Oracle Virtualbox where I can specify in the guest configuration a path of a directory in the host filesystem and have it mounted inside the VM in read/write.

I searched the forum for an answer, but all I found were solutions based on sharing files over network, which isn't applicable for VMs that don't even have network adapters and can't have any.

A VM can have only a virtual network adapter, and this is possible in every case. Note that such a virtual adapter neither has to be bridged together with a physical one nor it's necessary to route it's traffic to any other network.

Thank you for your reply.
So you are saying I can create a network share bound to virtual interface (let's say vmbr6) and bridge a Windows VM virtual interface to vmbr6.
Am I correct?

Thank you for your reply.
So you are saying I can create a network share bound to virtual interface (let's say vmbr6) and bridge a Windows VM virtual interface to vmbr6.
Am I correct?
Yes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!