Several videocards passthrough

avttd

Mar 2, 2018
Moscow
Hello!

I know that you can passthrough one video card to a virtual machine.
Do I understand correctly that if I install 6 video cards (for example) in the server, I can give one video card to six VMS (one video card per VM)?

Last edited:
edit: i misread your post, yes it should be possible to pass one gpu through to one vm, though it depends on your motherboard/gpus if that is working (iommu groups)

old answer:
Do I understand correctly that if I install 6 video cards (for example) in the server, I can give one video card to six VMS (one video card per VM)?
no thats not how it works. pci passthrough gives one device to exactly one vm

to do what you mean there are special (expensive) solutions like amds mxgpu or nvidias grid (vgpus) where one physical gpu gets split into several smaller virtual gpus

I plan to take something like a DELL R740, put some Nvidia Quadro p1000 in there, and make several VMS, and passtrhough one p1000 to one vm.
I think this solution will be cheaper than taking vmware Horizon

Last edited:
Reactions: lixaotec
I dont think Nvidia Quadro p1000 supports vGPU, you will only be able to do a passtrhough to one VM

I will explain what I want to get.
I want to get virtual machines for engineers with a video card.

They can be obtained using:
1. Full forwarding of the video card (P600 / P1000) to the virtual machine (1: 1) (and repeat for several virtual machines ))
2. Using vmware horizon / citrix + vgpu (here i need to buy licenses from nvidia)

and as I understand it, there is option number 3: Proxmox VMS + vgpu (like Tesla m60) + nvidia lics (? or not)

Or am I wrong somewhere?

PS In this task, I need to achieve the minimum cost of virtualizing a physical desktop

PPS sorry for my English :(

Last edited:
i´m trying similiar setup.
Are you going for windows guests? In this case option 1 should works. (at least for some gpu)
Im interested of following your setup results. Could you share your HW specs?

opt 2 need nvidia license. AFAIK they are not so expansive. what is expansive is the compatible GPU itself. Therefore Horizon and Citrix licenses costs may be high.

Im trying Ubuntu/mint as guest os with GPU passt. howver the xRDP (i suspect) is not gathering gpu accel. (i stated within other topics here)

i´m trying similiar setup.
Are you going for windows guests? In this case option 1 should works. (at least for some gpu)
Im interested of following your setup results. Could you share your HW specs?

opt 2 need nvidia license. AFAIK they are not so expansive. what is expansive is the compatible GPU itself. Therefore Horizon and Citrix licenses costs may be high.

Im trying Ubuntu/mint as guest os with GPU passt. howver the xRDP (i suspect) is not gathering gpu accel. (i stated within other topics here)

yes, of course I will share the data as soon as I collect the data)

according to the data that I have collected now

opt 1:
Intel W-2255 + X11SRA-F + 3 Nvidia P620 costs almost as much as 3 PC (the gain is only in electricity consumption and space occupied (I'm talking now about jobs with connection via RDP)

opt 2:
Vmware Horizon
A virtual machine with 4 cores, 32 RAM and 1 GB vGPU costs about $ 2,200 (including all licenses and if I was not mistaken anywhere))

opt 3:
As I understand it, in this topic people have passthrough vgpu through a proxmox into virtual machines.
If so, then the price of my virtual machine is approximately $1,800 - $1,900

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!