several pbs servers sharing backup storage

hvillemoes

Dec 13, 2020
Is it possible for to or more pbs servers to share same backup storage?

I have a PVE cluster with 2 servers and want to install pbs on both these pve servers and use the same NFS mounted NAS for backup server.
By that I want to establish a single failure tolerant solution.
Can to pbs share the same .lock and .chunk files ?

Or can I just run one pbs and then, when that stops, start pbs2 and restore using the storage (the backup's), that pbs1 created ?

Are there any special considerations ?

Thank you in advance

PBS prefers local storage with low latency. NFS can be slow unless you have a fast network.
Is it possible for to or more pbs servers to share same backup storage?

I have a PVE cluster with 2 servers and want to install pbs on both these pve servers and use the same NFS mounted NAS for backup server.
By that I want to establish a single failure tolerant solution.
Can to pbs share the same .lock and .chunk files ?
A datastore may not be shared by different PBS servers.
Or can I just run one pbs and then, when that stops, start pbs2 and restore using the storage (the backup's), that pbs1 created ?
That may work, but I cannot see the purpose of such solution.

The purpose is to be able to recover after pve1 with pbs1 has crashed.
Then I want to be able to restore on pve2 with pbs2.

Would that work ? Can pbs2 recognize and understand the .lock and .chunk structure created by pbs1?

It works when using build-in pve backup, but I want to use the nice dedub in pbs

Last edited:
It works like a charm - only stone on the road was to add the existing storage to the new server, which had to be done manual in /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg

Last edited:
Reactions: dominix

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!