Setup recommendation

Pontius

Aug 12, 2018
Düsseldorf, Germany
Hi everybody,

I'm planing to replace our 4-node Proxmox 5.1 cluster as the current HW is suffering from massive I/O problems (due to old and slow 7k spinning disks).

Our current workload:
- about 70 VMs in total, mostly Linux
- ~ 12 of these VMs are "essential" for our daily work; they run Jira, Jenkins, GitLab, ...
- the other VMs are for development and testing (including Jenkins build slaves); they tend to be rather "big" (> 4 cores, > 16 GB RAM) as our stuff heavily makes use of Java middleware products (Axway, TIBCO, ...).
- For the future we plan to move the Jenkins build slaves and some Dev VMs to LXC or - more likely - to Docker containers.

With the budget available I was thinking about the following (new) HW:

5x Dell PowerEdge R640, each with
- 2x Intel Xeon Silver 4114 (10 Core)
- 320GB DDR4 ECC RAM
- 6x 960GB Enterprise SSD (SATA)
- 2x 960GB Enterprise SSD (NVMe)
- 1x 1 GbE NIC
- 2x 10 GbE NIC

Storage:
- ZFS pool, using three mirror sets (3x 2 SSDs)
- Ceph, 2 OSDs per host (using the NVMe SSDs)
=> Ceph storage should be used (almost) exclusivly by the "essential" VMs; all other VMs/Containers should use local ZFS pools
Networking:
- 1x 10 GbE NIC for Ceph
- 1x 10 GbE NIC for VM communication; (test-) envs to be seperated by different VLANs
- 1x GbE uplink

Do you think that setup sounds reasonable?

Reactions: DerDanilo
Ok, looks I didn't make any obvious mistake on this. ;)

My major concern is the Ceph setup. 5 nodes with 2 OSDs each, connected by a 10 Gb network - is there any way to calculate the expected throughput on this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!