Setup Question with Pfsense

mundan101

Jul 14, 2018
I am looking to install pfsense on proxmox.

According to the guide I should keep VMBR0 as the proxmox management, VMBR1 WAN, VMBR2 as LAN.

I have 6 NIC cards to spare, not an issue.

My question is how do I bridge the proxmox VMBR0 so that I can access the GUI from my LAN?

I will be assigning the same local LAN config on it so will that automatically make it accessible?

Sorry for the beginner network question as I am new to proxmox and networking.

I am not sure I'm following completely, but for an install it is best to work with the suggested vmbr's and hookup a desktop VM to the LAN interface and continue working on that. So create a VM for pfsense, following their documentation here:
https://www.netgate.com/docs/pfsens...g-pfsense-with-proxmox.html?highlight=proxmox

Then start a desktop VM eg ubuntu desktop and have that network hookup to your LAN vmbr (2 in your case). Open your browser in the VM and browse to the pfsense interface.

Hope this helps.

I have same setup running right now. my exception is that even though I run pfsense on proxmox it is still a dedicated PC.
as in I run proxmox install on a Lenovo p59 PC with 6GB ram an 3 nic ports. nic0, nic1, nic2

my setup is as follows:

vmbr0 is on nic0 configured with static IP and sub net of my LAN. in my case it would be 10.x.x.x/255.255.0.0

vmbr1 is dedicated to WAN (connects to your ISP modem/router)
vbmr2 is LAN (connects to main switch)

make sure you mark each port properly and when adding to the VM identify it with in VM properly.

than create pfSense VM , boot it up and install pfsense as normal.

my box does not connect to internet.
only pfSense VM is.

So the only VM on proxmox is pfSense on your dedicated machine? Is that your setup? In that case, why use proxmox? Why not simply install pfSense directly on the machine?

well I had several reasons.
#1. I wasn't sure what to use at first. but that machine does not have IPMI so everything must be done directly on the hardware.
since it is in the basement it kind of awkward.
#2. I was planning to have a backup VM on my main server. not there yet but can be in the future.
#3. if I want to try some other firewall/router setup it is as easy as setting thing up and simply shut down the pfsense and start the other VM.

but that's my reasons.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!