Setup Question/Design Help?

Julien Croy

Dec 26, 2018
I have 4 blades running proxmox. Each blade has 100gb SSD give or take and a 1tb of hdd space. Is it possible to combine all of the ssd space and all of the hdd space so that it shows up in the cluster as 2 groups instead of 8 different ones? Also how would you guys go about making use of this setup if it was your server? I'm trying to figure out the best and most efficient way to make use of my space. Ideally I want to exclusively use the ssd for hosting vm/containers and the hdd for everything else. Out of the box proxmox split the ssd up and ignored the hdd. Is there proper way to do this?

Hi,

Out of the box proxmox split the ssd up and ignored the hdd.
you can choose in the installer which Disk you use as root disk.

The installer only init the root disk all other disks must handle manually later.
You can do this on the GUI in the disk section.

Is it possible to combine all of the ssd space and all of the hdd space so that it shows up in the cluster as 2 groups instead of 8 different ones? Also how would you guys go about making use of this setup if it was your server?
This really depends on your requirements and budget. I would prefer to create an CEPH over the Nodes, but with only 8 SSDs its not the best solution.

You can "group" it a little bit. If you mount the SSDs on all Nodes in the same way, you can add ONE storage in PVE and use this for all Nodes - so you will see the Storage in every sinlge Node. BUT this not mean you have an Shared Storage or Replication, the Disks are running as single Disks.

This really depends on your requirements and budget. I would prefer to create an CEPH over the Nodes, but with only 8 SSDs its not the best solution.

You can "group" it a little bit. If you mount the SSDs on all Nodes in the same way, you can add ONE storage in PVE and use this for all Nodes - so you will see the Storage in every sinlge Node. BUT this not mean you have an Shared Storage or Replication, the Disks are running as single Disks.
Yeah I ended up installing proxmox using the default settings to the 1tb HDD. It partitioned it quite nicely. I just need to figure out how I want to setup the other 3 populated blades. I was thinking of having the first blade have a large data portion and sharing that so the other blades can make full use. Or something similar along these lines

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!