Setup Pentesting lab

NasKar

May 19, 2022
I'm trying to follow a tutorial on learning pen testing. In their tutorial they don't use proxmox but VMware Workstation Player. They set the network adapter to NAT and put it on the 192.168.57/24 network. My home network is 192.168.5.0/24. I would like to setup kali linux on the 192.168.57.0/24 network and not let it have any access to my home network just in case.
When I try to setup a virtual network on the 57 network I get this error
Proxmox Network settings.jpg
I'm running proxmox VE 7.1-7 on an extra computer connected to my home network. If you need any further info let me know. Sorry for the basic question

You should either leave the "IPv4/CIDR" + "Gateway (IPv4)" fields empty if you don't want that your PVE host is reachable in that network. Your VMs/LXCs can still get an IP and use that network.
If you want that your PVE host is reachable in the subnet you should give it a proper IP. Right now you are giving your PVE host the IP 192.168.57.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. try something else than 192.168.57.0 like 192.168.57.2. So something like "192.168.57.2/24" should work.

something like "192.168.57.2/24" should work
That doesn't work without leaving the gateway blank.
So now will my Kali get an IP in the 192.168.57.x range?
Will it have access to the internet?
Will it not have access to my home network?
You should either leave the "IPv4/CIDR" + "Gateway (IPv4)" fields empty if you don't want that your PVE host is reachable in that network. Your VMs/LXCs can still get an IP and use that network.
No sure what you mean by this.

That doesn't work without leaving the gateway blank.
You should only have one gateway for your PVE host. And you already use 192.168.5.1 on your vmbr0 anyway. So leave the gateway blank for your vmbr4.
So now will my Kali get an IP in the 192.168.57.x range?
You have to set that up inside your kali guest. You can give your kali guest a IP and gateway inside your kali guest. Your PVE host doesn't need a IP/gateway on the vmbr4 for that.
Will it have access to the internet?
The PVE host will have access to the internet if its gateway (192.168.5.1) will handle that. Your kali guest will only have internet if you point your guest to a router (set gateway inside guest OS) that will NAT between the 192.168.57.0/24 subnet and the internet. You want the 192.168.57.0/24 subnet isolated from your LAN, so you likely need some kind of additional router for that if you are only running a consumer router.
Will it not have access to my home network?
Not if you don't connect a physical NIC to that vmbr4 or do some NAT/routing on your PVE host.

Reactions: NasKar
You want the 192.168.57.0/24 subnet isolated from your LAN, so you likely need some kind of additional router
So I guess I will setup a pfsense router in proxmox and have my Wan be the 192.168.5.x network and place the Kali on an interface on the 57 network.

So I guess I will setup a pfsense router in proxmox and have my Wan be the 192.168.5.x network and place the Kali on an interface on the 57 network.
That would be an option. But then don't forget to setup your PVEs and pfsenses firewall rules so nothing from the 57 network can access any private IP ranges except for 192.168.5.1 and 192.168.57.0/24.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!