setup on hetzner and security of the proxmox control pannel

openaspace

Sep 16, 2019
Italy
Hi to all.
I have used citrix xen server for years where the public interface was protected using a firewall with access with openvpn.

If would to know if with the hetzner root server, proxmox can be sufficiently safe protecting the web control pannel using the hetzner firewall web functionality ?
I want to avoid to use proxmox control panel through a virtualized firewall gateway... as many use do, but potentially creating all the conditions to lose remote control of the server.

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Robot_Firewall/en

Thank you.

I have used citrix xen server for years where the public interface was protected using a firewall with access with openvpn

Hi,

This can also be done also for ProxMox(using hetzner firewall), if this you want. You will need to open your udp/ovpn-port and/or ssh(must to have in my opinion). If your ovpn will die, then you could use ssh!

Good luck

Thank you for the support guletz.
My question is more oriented about the "hetzner stateless firewall" if it's enough as measure to protect the proxmox web control pannel

My question is more oriented about the "hetzner stateless firewall" if it's enough as measure to protect the proxmox web control pannel

whether it's "enough" of a measure to protect your instance, depends entirely on the rules you set up on the firewall itself and your network configuration.

This my question is only I don't want to setup proxmox web controlpanel hidden within a pfsense firewall virtual machine (a setup like this it's like a lottery)
you don't have to use pfsense VM for firewalling. you could also use the proxmox FW or hetzner/ovh/any firewall solution for that matter.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!