Setup (Noob)

a002694

Apr 27, 2024
I received a dell poweredge r730 server from a friend, w/c comes with a 1TBx6 HDD storage. I initially wanted to do a Raid 1 on 2 of the 1TB disk, and use the remaining 1TB×4 disk for storage, VMs etc . However, Proxmox is not able to detect the 1TBx4 disks.

I searched through this forum and saw multiple similar inquiries. Some say to disable hardware raid, but then i cannot do a raid 1 on the OS disk. Can anyone help me in setting up what I want to do?

First time user of proxmox, first time setting up home lab.

You could disable raid and then use ZFS for software raid.
You also only define the system disks in the installer. For additional VM storage on other disks you would set that up after PVE is installed.

But in case you want to use ZFS, make first sure that the raid controller supports proper IT-mode when disabling raid and that it isn't presenting individual disks as 1-disk raid0s.

Last edited:
Reactions: a002694

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!