Setting up remote access to the Gui - From outside the local network

avduo

New Member
Dec 11, 2025
2
0
1
Hi all,

Fairly new to severs/proxmox and looking for a way to access the proxmox gui from when I'm not in the local network.

After googling for a while haven't come up with any tutorials just a direction via a vpn, but what are the options with this?

Going by the research I have tried with wireguard, but seem to missing something as can't seem to get it working. Any information on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
 
Welcome to the Proxmox Community :)

You can set up simple port forwarding to port 8006 in your firewall/router (I would recommend 2-factor authentication for Proxmox VE), or, as you have already done correctly, set up a VPN with Wireguard. WG must also be enabled in your firewall (WAN → LAN) (UDP 51820). Here, you must ensure that the correct networks are connected so that your Proxmox node is also accessible.

WireguardUI offers a very simple configuration. I recommend using a VM for this.
 
Hello Mario,

Thanks for your message, totally agree with the 2fa. But seems to be struggling to setup wireguard or missing something in the understanding/process as it's not setup as yet so have been looking at headscale and tailscale as well as options will have a look later when I get home. But any pointer would I'd be grateful for.

Regards
 
One of the best / easiest options at the moment is the setup of a Tailscale network, you can run a tailscale node in an LXC and access you entire LAN for anywhere.

No requirement to open holes in the firewall

https://tailscale.com/
 
  • Like
Reactions: louie1961
Hi all. I'm totally new to this and writing a business case for a Proxmox installation for our training team to work anywhere in the world. We have an existing internet connection into the server room. From following WAY too many links, it would seem that I could install tailscale on the Proxmox server and make a physical connection to the internet service, probably via a switch with VPNs configured, as there will also be local connections within the room. So, I guess my question boils down to wondering what the clients on the remote stations (and local!) and how exactly they connect - how do we identify the VM they have been assigned? Do I also need a firewall between the switch and the internet? I'm guessing yes...
 
...as an added question, could we use thin client stations for the travelling suite? I'd expect yes, but I want to be sure... and to understand what they might look like. Further, what does the connection string look like? Is it a single IP address with port numbers (I see 8006 is the configuration port), or is it a named connection to a virtual machine name?

With further digging in the admin manual, it seems that the relevant VM is connected to the login name. Is that true? if so, it simplifies thing a lot! Although if two people want to use the same VM, does it spin up multiple independent versions?

Sorry... so many questions!
 
Last edited: