Setting up network for VM machines

spayk

May 6, 2019
Hello,
Since I installed up a proxmox on my machine I would like to get a hand with a network settings.
This is my current setup on network from proxmox (screenshot added). When I create a bridge and activate it my VMs do not have network at all, even when I try to configure it manually. Where the problem might be?

a second thing is to make that physical machine a "edge router" with the schematics like that:
External WAN network -> "edge router" ( I would like to filter out traffic on this machine with IDS) -> normal router -> other machines.
@BobhWasatch
Calling you, sir.
Thank you all.

Attachments

• net.png
    net.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 261
@tim
Thank you. I managed to make the physical machine talky with virtual machine.
In the physical machine I have following config (/etc/network/interfaces):
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp8s0
iface enp8s0 inet manual
        address  192.168.1.149
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.1.1

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.148
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports enp8s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
The problem is that once I make "iface enp8s0 inet static" with the address 1.149 the network is dead. Need to make it with "manual". If "manual" is on then the proxmox is not getting 149, but 159 address.
With the virtual container once I do DHCP it gets also different IP address. If I do a static then the network does not respond.

If I do:
Code:
cat hosts:
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.149   prox4m1.proxmox.com     prox4m1

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
getting something like that. What do I make wrong?
1. Can't assign specific address which I want to the machine - everything goes through DHCP
2. Where is the mistake which I am making?
Thanks.

You can't assign an ip to enp8s0 and as well use it as port for vmbr0. Just stick to the examples in our guide, in your current config enp8s0 could be for example:

iface enp8s0 inet manual

Reactions: spayk
@tim
Got config like that:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug enp8s0

auto enp8s0
iface enp8s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.1.148
        netmask  24
        gateway  192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports enp8s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
Made it manually and still proxmox is connecting to the 1.159 instead of 1.149 IP even after being forced for it.
What am I doing wrong?

Not sure what you mean neither 1.159 nor 1.149 is configured, you did configure 1.148??
Just to mention it, you'll need to reboot to make those changes take effect.

Reactions: spayk
@tim
192.168.1.149 is the IP address to which I would like to run proxmox via GUI - by browser. For now it connects me via 192.168.1.159 and I do not know why.
Yeah I made the Bridge with 1.148 IP address and assigned the 1.147 to the container - works fine. Thank you :) Now if possible I would like to redirect proxmox to the IP address of 192.168.1.149 :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!