Setting up LAG inside Proxmox?!

Mattias Hedman

Jan 19, 2019
I have a Dell PE720 with 4 NICs, just today 4 ports on my Unifi Switch 8p opened up, so I got the idea to do a Bond of all ports, and give it one IP that would be load balanced!
So I deleted all the bridges, configured my mighty Bond with 4 10Gb NICs. Added a bridge with an IP and pointed it to the newly created bond, hit Apply config, and...
Lost all network to the server. Lucky me or paranoid me had made a backup of the old interfaces file so after a few minutes of hectic looking for what could be wrong I activated the old interfaces file and wrote this.

How do I configure a bond for 4 nics that actually works? LACP (802.3ad) Layer 2+3. Do I need to tell the switch that a bond is incoming?

Do I need to tell the switch that a bond is incoming?
Yes. Also on the switch you need to "bond" 4 ports.

This my config on Proxmox:

auto lo iface lo inet loopback auto eno1 iface eno1 inet manual auto eno2 iface eno2 inet manual auto eno3 iface eno3 inet manual auto eno4 iface eno4 inet manual auto bond1 iface bond1 inet manual bond-slaves eno1 eno2 eno3 eno4 bond-miimon 100 bond-mode 802.3ad bond-xmit-hash-policy layer3+4 auto vmbr1 iface vmbr1 inet static address 192.168.1.100/24 gateway 192.168.1.254 bridge-ports bond1 bridge-stp off bridge-fd 0 bridge-vlan-aware yes bridge-vids 2-4094

I had the same setup apart from the layer and the IP-numbers... still I did not get any network whatsoever. I have "sadly" deleted that config.
I will steal yours and adapt it to my network and try again, thanks!
So I did my setup as you have described and now it seems to be working. Only used 2 nics just to sure, Now I am gonna add more NICs. :)

Last edited:
Hy guys.
Got some troubles too.

Got a bond with 2 x 10gb nic (lacp) and add them to vmbr0
it works but my speed is only 7gb/s when i test it with iperf (VM to VM).

Even worse when i test from my computer with 2x 10gb link, got only 1.5 gb/s
My external switch is a Quanta LB6M (All ports are LACP enabled)
Do i need to create a lag on the LB6M ?

Thanks for your help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!