Setting up LACP on extra NIC

mkyb14

Mar 17, 2017
Guru's,

I'm fairly new to Proxmox and setup a box running Pfsense, Windows 10(blueIris), unifi controller (linux), and room to do some other things like a plex server etc.

Looking into how to best add faster storage I've been considering attempting LACP using an extra dual NIC I have. Today the setup is a SuperMicro X11SH-4LNF with 4 onboard NIC's and 2x PCI-E.

Is there a way to setup LACP using a virtual switch within promox and not having to buy a managed switch? Doing some research and I'm not sure from some of the examples or not if people are doing this?

I'd like to eventually move off my Drobo 5D to a Synology using LACP and maybe in the future attempt 10GBE. Storage directly to server with out another physical managed switch between them.

Is it possible, and does anyone have a known resource or video showing this?

LACP requires two physical NICS and the switch to which these devices connect must support it

Thanks for the reply Manu.

Can this be done with a virtual switch is what I'm getting at. I have the 2 extra physical NICs to connect to the hardware, just trying to understand if connecting the storage hardware directly to the NICs on the motherboard can be configured via a software defined vSwitch within proxmox so I don't have to buy another piece of physical hardware.

What will the physical NICs connect to?
Directly to the storage device. Synology or qnap hardware. I wasn't sure if there was a virtual switch that could do this in place of me spending 600$ on a physical switch.

The server has enough physical NICs. If this isn't a possibility, what's a good better best switch option for under 600 $?

Directly to the storage device. Synology or qnap hardware. I wasn't sure if there was a virtual switch that could do this in place of me spending 600$ on a physical switch.

The server has enough physical NICs. If this isn't a possibility, what's a good better best switch option for under 600 $?
I've not seen any options for doing this as a software switch but i think you might be right with struggling to get the hardware for under $600. Sorry i have no suggestions.

If I understand you right, you want to connect the storage device directly to the Proxmox server with two NICs on each device bonded together using LACP? There should be no problem at all. You need to create a bond on both devices and connect both devices.

In Proxmox the bond can be created directly in the GUI (Network -> Create -> Linux Bond). You need to set IP-address, etc. and select "LACP (802.3ad)" as mode and enter the NICs you want to bond into the slaves field (I think they must be seperated by space but I am not 100% sure). The NICs you want to bond have to be unconfigured.

And of course you need to enable LACP bonding on the storage device side, too. I am not allowed to post links, but if you ask google for "synology link aggregation" you should find the official manual.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!