[TUTORIAL] Setting up IPV6

sheebz

Dec 16, 2021
I have ipv6 set up and running on my pfsense vm, but didnt realize until yesterday that it wasnt set up in proxmox. Figured it would be as simple as checking a couple boxes on the gui. I tried playing around and looking for guides to do this, but wasnt able to find anything that explains the proper procedure how to do this.

Does anyone know of a good guide available for this? or is anyone willing to explain the steps to me?

i understand it involves changing the network interfaces and maybe hosts in the command line, but i have zero idea what exactly i need to add or how to get some of the information ive seen in other posts of peoples configs.

any help is greatly appreciated!

I do not have a guide for ipv6 but it appears I have a similar infrastructure as you with pfsense and proxmox. I have ipv6 enabled on pfsense and my pve8 nics appear to have picked up ipv6 addresses for both link and global scope "automagically". I don't remember doing anything special to enable them.

One thing I have done though. Not all sites on the Internet have "good" ipv6 routes yet. The big sites seem fine, I've had problems with some of the smaller ones, and repos, from Google's network (google fiber).

To prefer ipv4 over ipv6, edit /etc/gai.conf and uncomment the following line:
precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100

That has helped me reach certain internet sites that are not fully ipv6 connected.

HTH

This is my interfaces file for ProxMox and works great and also changes port 8006 to regular https port.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.2/24
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    bridge-ports eth0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 192.168.1.2 --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8006

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
    address fd00::2/64
    gateway fd00::1
    post-up ip6tables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d fd00::2 --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8006

fla
This is my interfaces file for ProxMox and works great and also changes port 8006 to regular https port.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.2/24
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    bridge-ports eth0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 192.168.1.2 --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8006

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
    address fd00::2/64
    gateway fd00::1
    post-up ip6tables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d fd00::2 --dport 443 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8006
flawless!
thank you!! i was searching for guides and started to think this was going to be an adventure trying to get this going. worked perfect!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!