Setting Time options

NetRock

Renowned Member
Apr 23, 2015
Hi ...

I have a network time server, all the machines are set to sync the time with this server on the network.
Running Linux and Windows KVMs on each Proxmox 4.0 node. I am looking to find the best option to set time:

1) In the BIOS: There are two options; UTC or Local Time which one to set.
2) for Linux and Windows KVMs should i enable "use local time for RTC", If yes, what would be the right option in the BIOS (UTC or Local time).
3) Do i need to make any changes in the host.

I have looked in different threads but was not able to find the proper answer to my questions.
It would be great, if someone can direct me to the right direction to avoid having time drift on all the VMs and the hosts.
Appreciate your help........ ;)

Thank you.

Hi
Your PVE host expects the BIOS clock to be set o UTC. PVE will add then a time zone so you get a correct localtime.
For your guests VM, PVE will automatically set the right parameter depending on the ostype you selected so there is nothing to do here.

Hi
Your PVE host expects the BIOS clock to be set o UTC. PVE will add then a time zone so you get a correct localtime.
For your guests VM, PVE will automatically set the right parameter depending on the ostype you selected so there is nothing to do here.
Is there a way to disable this? So that PVE uses local or not to expect that BIOS is set to UTC?

timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

But why do you want to do that? It is a bad idea. From the man page:

Code:
 Note that maintaining the RTC in the local timezone is not fully supported and will
 create various problems with time zone changes and daylight saving adjustments. If at
 all possible, keep the RTC in UTC mode.

The only reason to do this is dual-booting with Windows. There is no other use case.

Reactions: Neobin
timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

But why do you want to do that? It is a bad idea. From the man page:

Code:
 Note that maintaining the RTC in the local timezone is not fully supported and will
 create various problems with time zone changes and daylight saving adjustments. If at
 all possible, keep the RTC in UTC mode.

The only reason to do this is dual-booting with Windows. There is no other use case.
Yeah it makes sense that it can create issue. So is there anyway I can adjust monitoring time, for graphs, because this seems to affect other parts as well. All my other monitoring graphs show utc time instead of local, even if the vm time is set to local.

Log in to the PVE host as root. Run "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" and select your time zone. Reboot. Log in again and verify the time is correct. If not use "timedatectl" to set it.

Log in to the PVE web GUI as root. Go to server> Time> Edit and set your time zone.

If that does not work I don't know what is wrong. Probably you have configured something somewhere because this is not a known problem with PVE.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!