Setting NIC PCI address for on-boarding existing workloads

ozdjh

Oct 8, 2019
Hi

Our evaluation of Proxmox & Ceph is going well so we looked at how we'd migrate our existing customer base over to it. We're coming from a KVM based platform, using Virtio, so all looked good. The only issue is that the NIC is presented at a different PCI address so windows clients see it as a new NIC and lose their network config. Exactly the issue reported by another user here :

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/changing-nic-pci-bus-address.33593/

The OS is expecting to find a nic at 0x03 but in PVE that's used for the balloon driver, with the nic presenting at 0x12. I've tried removing the balloon driver to see if the nic would move down to 0x03 but it didn't. I've also had a look at qm.conf in the hope we could set it there but that doesn't appear to be one of the options available.

Is there any way we can tweak this to allow existing workloads to be migrated over? We need to find a way to on-board our existing client base if we're going to replace our current hosting platform with Proxmox. Any pointers or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

David

the pci addresses are not really configurable (for live-migration and simplicity), but there are workaround like using 'args' (see the the thread you mentioned)
for the long term, i would suggest migrating the guests and adapt their network config (or instruct the users on how to do it) , since any workaround like using 'args' or patching the source can lead to problems sooner or later

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!