Server with Proxmox and Pfsense

dimitrisgr

Jun 8, 2021
Hi all!

I am not very experienced with server management and I currently manage a vps with whm/cpanel. I am thinking in a few month when the subscription ends to colocate my own server in the datacenter. So after some research i decided to buy a used dell server and have proxmox as a hypervisor.
So i am trying to figure out a way to seperate the host from the vps and also install pfsense so i can have vlans and firewall rules for the vps. Is my idea even possible - can you push me to the right direction?

I am not sure in what way you want to separate Proxmox VE from the virtual machines.

Anyway, I recommend installing Proxmox VE itself as a VM for testing. You can then create VMs within the Proxmox VE VM (Nested Virtualization). Performance should be sufficient to check out the possibilities that Proxmox VE offers and to check out how you can configure a pfSense VM.

One very important piece of information will be the Network Configuration section of the Proxmox VE Administration Guide.

Ok that is a nice idea thanks. The main think i want o do is to seperate the host and the different vps so that they are in a different network (vlan).

You can easily separate them by not assigning an address to the host in the VLANs of the guests.

When you define a VLAN under Node->Network you can decide to fill in the address field or not.
If it's blank then the host doesn't participate in this VLAN.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!