Server Migration using fsarchiver mentioned on Proxmox website:Help required

S

Shivaramakrishnan

Hi
I am a newbie to Proxmox.I wanted to migrate some servers running on debian and centos to Proxmox KVM.From the website of Proxmox,I found fsarchiver could be ideal since I would be requiring to operate at the file system level to reduce the space.Obiviously I do not want the VM created on Proxmox to be as of the Physical hard disk size.

On the physical server:
i want to make the archive:
fsarchiver -v -z 9 savefs /var/archives/dbs.fsa /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6 /dev/sda7

Details:
[root@dbs01-pleXX fsarchiver-0.6.15]# fsarchiver probe simple
[======DISK======] [=============NAME==============] [====SIZE====] [MAJ] [MIN]
[sda ] [PERC 6/i ] [ 1.36 TB] [ 8] [ 0]

[=====DEVICE=====] [==FILESYS==] [======LABEL======] [====SIZE====] [MAJ] [MIN]
[sda1 ] [ext3 ] [/ ] [ 4.88 GB] [ 8] [ 1]
[sda2 ] [ext3 ] [/opt ] [ 9.77 GB] [ 8] [ 2]
[sda3 ] [swap ] [SWAP-sda3 ] [ 8.20 GB] [ 8] [ 3]
[sda5 ] [ext3 ] [/home ] [ 4.88 GB] [ 8] [ 5]
[sda6 ] [ext3 ] [/tmp ] [ 4.88 GB] [ 8] [ 6]
[sda7 ] [ext3 ] [/var ] [ 1.33 TB] [ 8] [ 7]

[root@dbs01-pleXX fsarchiver-0.6.15]# mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda7 on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda2 on /opt type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

I am using Proxmox 2.1.

Questions:
1. Should I include the -A switch since all the partitions are rw (I came to this conclusion seeing the output of mount).They are live systems running?
( -A: allow to save a filesystem which is mounted in read-write (live backup))
2.How should I restore the archive on the VM created on the Proxmox.Should I have the OS already installed on the VM or I can boot the VM from live CD and then install fsarchiver on that.copy the archive created from the physical server to the VM.Restore it.And then allow it to boot?
Can anyone please mention the restoration part for me?
3.What should be the size of the VM? Should it be size of the compressed archive created ofcourse adding +/- 10 to 15G for growth.
3.Any other suggestions or anything I am missing here if mentioned by someone would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!