Server keeps booting into emergency mode

sigh

Dec 1, 2013
Full disclosure: I'm running an old version of Proxmox 3.4 which I have been planning to update to 4.x but haven't got around to yet. The server is colocated at a datacenter in the Netherlands and I have access via an iDRAC (Dell IPMI system). I have very limited linux knowledge, so please forgive my ignorance.

The server runs a number of VMs, all of which are KVM, mainly for the purposes of hosting websites. It was running perfectly fine until earlier today when I received a system email:

Code:
wget (1.13.4-3+deb7u3) wheezy-security; urgency=high

This version fixes a security vulnerability (CVE-2016-4971) present
  in all old versions of wget.  The vulnerability was discovered by
  Dawid Golunski which were reported to us by Beyond Security's
  SecuriTeam.

On a server redirect from HTTP to a FTP resource, wget would trust the
  HTTP server and uses the name in the redirected URL as the destination
  filename.
  This behaviour was changed and now it works similarly as a redirect
  from HTTP to another HTTP resource so the original name is used as
  the destination file.  To keep the previous behaviour the user must
  provide --trust-server-names.

-- Thorsten Alteholz <debian@alteholz.de>  Mon, 27 Jun 2016 18:00:14 +0200

I'm used to getting such emails when I update the system myself, but I hadn't logged in recently. The server was unresponsive to ping, so I had the datacenter reboot the system. No change.

I used the iDRAC to reboot the system myself so I could watch the startup sequence and was eventually presented with the message below.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 22.09.53.png

I entered the root password and tried to follow what the prompt said. I ran systemctrl default and got the following message.

Code:
Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager

When I ran journalctl I got the message "command not found".

Has anyone got any ideas?

At this stage, since I have no idea what's wrong, all I want to do is see if I can get the vm images off and onto another server. Do you think I could do this using a live cd and if so, how would I go about it?

I would appreciate any help people could provide.

mhmm it seems somehow systemd got installed?
maybe someone ran an upgrade to 4.x which got interrupted?
do you have any logs under /var/log/apt which would indicate an update?
what do the files /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* say?

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry it takes me so long to reply. I'm a lawyer during the day so I only get the chance to look at this at night.

The history.log for apt shows that the following commands were executed:
Code:
apt-get -y install git
apt-get install systemd-sysv
apt-get -yg install make gcc lipcre3-dev libssl-dev wget
apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends python python-dev

term.log suggests that sysvinit was removed. It ends after setting up python-virtualenv.

The sources.list file is as follows (and it doesn't look good):

Code:
# security updates
deb security.deian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib
deb deb.torproject.org/torproject.org wheezy main
deb download.proxmox.com/debian wheexy pve-no-subscription

I had to remove http etc because of posting restrictions.

The reference to tor seems to indicate the system has been compromised, since I didn't put it there.

The only file in sources.list.d is pve-enterprise.list and the only line in that is commented out because I don't have a subscription.

I'm wondering if maybe if maybe it might be easier to just get the datacenter to make and insert a Debian live cd. I should then be able to mount all the relevant folders following the instructions from the wiki page: Recover_From_Grub_Failure, copy the VMs off and then restart afresh with proxmox 4.4. Alternatively, I'm open to any other suggestions you have.

Thanks in advance!

The reference to tor seems to indicate the system has been compromised, since I didn't put it there.
if you think your system is compromised, i would urge you to wipe the system and restore from backup
you can never know what an attacker left on your system, how he manipulated the logs, etc.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!