Server is crashing, no errors in logs. Kernel bugs, and more.

rkk2025

Jul 11, 2018
Hi, recently my server started crashing or restarting randomly, although mostly during multimedia streaming (Or at least it's when I notice it mostly), but logs show no error messages. System log just shows just regular interface went up messages or apparmor, or other startup messages, and then from one moment to another it shows the time [0] System booting messages and the whole boot process again.

It all seem to have started when I mounted the /dev/ppp device inside of a privileged container (lxc) and updated the kernel, when weird messages like "waiting for lo to become ready" started to appear randomly (and once they show up they don't stop till I reboot), especially when the container was being shut down. Although for some time it seemed like everything was fine and I could even shutdown and restart the container without any issues nor kernel messages. From what I could find on the internet the message should be harmless but is also mentioned in some kind of kernel bug where a mutex is not working properly.

But now the whole server seems to just restart from one moment to another, when I'm streaming something trough Plex for some few minutes, although this seems to happen randomly. No error messages are shown anywhere nor kernel messages.

The restart also seems to happen very fast, as if it would be a soft reset that doesn't need to wait for bios, but the lxc containers seem to start extremely slow till I manually reboot the system. But that might be my own impression.

The server temperature peaks at around 45°C so heat is not a problem.

My second guess is that there might be some hardware problem. But wouldn't there be something shown in the logs at least?

Anybody has a clue how I could find out what's going on, or how to generate more meaningful log messages? Anybody has seen something similar?

This sounds similar to my issue a few months ago. The power supply fan was not working so the PS was overheating. There were no logs of any kind. Run a fan on your PS and see if it helps. I thought my issue was multiple things until I figured it out.

Reactions: rkk2025

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!