Server hanging on loading intial ramdisk

exzact

Dec 1, 2023
Hi All,

First time posting so if you need any more information please just ask and don’t be surprised if I come back with a “How do I do this?”!

So as the title says I have a R720 that has just randomly stopped booting and getting either frozen or stuck on ‘loading initial ramdisk’.

Currently it’s using Grub 2.06-3. No recent updates were done on the server or the PVE version.

I have tried to follow other seemingly similar faults however am unable to see the same options.

For example one option says to try “nomodeset” inside grub however when I load into grub boot loader and press ‘e’ I have no line that matches where I need to be inputting modeset variable.

Hope to have this resolved!

Please let me know anything you need to hopefully get some help.

P.S. I would like to have the last thing I have to do is restart as I have 12 terabytes of data in a ZFS pool that would be annoying to have lost.

Hi All,

First time posting so if you need any more information please just ask and don’t be surprised if I come back with a “How do I do this?”!

So as the title says I have a R720 that has just randomly stopped booting and getting either frozen or stuck on ‘loading initial ramdisk’.

Currently it’s using Grub 2.06-3. No recent updates were done on the server or the PVE version.

I have tried to follow other seemingly similar faults however am unable to see the same options.

For example one option says to try “nomodeset” inside grub however when I load into grub boot loader and press ‘e’ I have no line that matches where I need to be inputting modeset variable.

Hope to have this resolved!

Please let me know anything you need to hopefully get some help.

P.S. I would like to have the last thing I have to do is restart as I have 12 terabytes of data in a ZFS pool that would be annoying to have lost.
Does your server have a BCM5720 network card? Then you might be having this issue BCM5720
Booting kernel 6.2.16-19-pve seems to be the only option at the moment.

Does your server have a BCM5720 network card? Then you might be having this issue BCM5720
Booting kernel 6.2.16-19-pve seems to be the only option at the moment.
From what I can tell this doesn’t seem to be the issue. As the server has been booting prior to this issue fine. No updates for BIOS or anything on the hardware occurred before this issue and just randomly occurred. Any other solutions?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!