sending spam to zimbra spam folder?

killmasta93

Renowned Member
Aug 13, 2017
Hi
i was wondering if someone else has accomplished, what im trying to do. Currently I know that to send spam emails i would add a subject to SPAM and add a filter on zimbra to send to the spam folder. But what i really like is the alert feature telling the user that they have spam, the issue is that the user is lazy and wont click on a link to access the spam folder but also lazy to check the folder if the alert does not go to the inbox. So the idea is that if its possible to send an alert saying it has spam then sending the spam emails to zimbra?

Thank you

thanks for the reply, your right sending one additional mail for each spam mail would crazy the user, it would be the spam report feature but the emails would go directory to the spam folder of the user. Im guessing the issue would be if the spam emails are not in proxmox the user wont get the spam report right?

thanks for the reply, i was thinking about an idea, what is the command on PMG to liberate all emails from the spam quarantine?
what i was thinking is that as soon as the user gets the spam email report it would liberate the email so the users can check the spam folder on zimbra

i was thinking about an idea, what is the command on PMG to liberate all emails from the spam quarantine?
There is no such command - you could write a script using pmgsh to loop over such mails ...
but I'm not sure if it would not be better to simply tell your users to check their spam-folder once in a while...

Reactions: killmasta93
@Stoiko Ivanov user not check Quarantine, only when quarantine report is sent. Most of time, they check this report. Users tell have 'no time' to spent checking another tool (Proxmox quarantine).
i does it:
1 - define subject [SPAM] on all emails marked as spam or quarantine to goes to user mail box - not quarantine on pmg.
2 - On zimbra, i was able to create a filter rule to send all emails with subject "[SPAM]" to goes to SPAM folder on zimbra user mailbox.
3 - If user need mark spam as "Whitelisted" they will join on "PMG Quarantine" and define/whitelist email account.

Not good way, but it is what my users see as acceptable on their side.

@Stoiko Ivanov user not check Quarantine, only when quarantine report is sent. Most of time, they check this report. Users tell have 'no time' to spent checking another tool (Proxmox quarantine).
i does it:
1 - define subject [SPAM] on all emails marked as spam or quarantine to goes to user mail box - not quarantine on pmg.
2 - On zimbra, i was able to create a filter rule to send all emails with subject "[SPAM]" to goes to SPAM folder on zimbra user mailbox.
3 - If user need mark spam as "Whitelisted" they will join on "PMG Quarantine" and define/whitelist email account.

Thanks for the reply, that is what i was thinking the same but the user are sometime lazy not checking the spam so im going to figure out a way to alert them, as for the number 3 not sure what you mean, the user would have to notify us to add that client to whitelist or does it do it automatically?

@killmasta93
To whitelist a email, user need login in PMG Quarantine and add email on whitelist.
Admin team will not make it Global whitelisted since others users have it as Spam.

There is no such command - you could write a script using pmgsh to loop over such mails ...
but I'm not sure if it would not be better to simply tell your users to check their spam-folder once in a while...
allright so from what i understand

Code:
pmgsh get /quarantine/spamusers

i get the users that have email in the quarantine

then get the list of email in the quarantine

Code:
pmgsh get /quarantine/spam --pmail email@domain.com

then to send only one email would be

Code:
pmgsh create /quarantine/content --id idofthemail --action deliver

Now my question is how i can send all the emails from the quarantine?

Thank you

i does it:

I've found a better solution for this problem.

Zimbra decided whether it will put mail in Junk folder or not by the "X-Spam-Flag" header. So in PMG we add this header to spammy mail with the YES value and send forward to Zimbra mail server, and then this mail gets in Junk folder.
No need to create additional filters in Zimbra or change the subject (which is messes with DKIM signed header)

Hope this helps someone.

Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 12-29-02 pmg4 - Proxmox Mail Gateway.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!