Sender address rejected for notification emails from mail gateway host

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
Hello,
I am using PMX MG for both incoming and outgoing emails. Emails are flowing fine, except the Deferred Mail list is full of items saying
Sender address rejected: Domain not found (in reply to RCPT TO command)

The error msg is only for all notification emails the gateway is trying to send to the admin email. The sender address shows postmaster@hostname.domain.com, instead of postmaster@domain.com. Nobody is getting these SPAM notifications or any other notifications that the gateway is trying to send out. What do I need to configure further to start receiving this notification emails?

I have the exact same Problem. My workaround was to setup the subdomain as Maildomain. So my Server knows the sender. But I'm not relaying it.

Would be nice, if that can be changed.
additional info: Its only the Proxmox Status Report that gets send from postmaster@hostname.hostdomain.tld

mine is a bit different.. when i send email to unknown/misspell address, no notification for sender (zimbra).
Let's say i was trying to send an email to mail@yahoo.com from mymail@domain.com. But i typed mail@yaho.cm

=============================== EDIT ===============================

Turns out you need to wait 4h before you receive notification

Last edited:
Hello from 2024..
Is there any UI option for this now?
I cannot seem to find out where the word 'postmaster' or the general address format is coming from.
But on this blog post from 2018 it mentions that adding the setting myorigin = $mydomain to the main.cf template is a solution. Which I tried and it works.

Notice: do not directly modify /etc/postfix/main.cf. Update a copy of the template first.

Reactions: Mirco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!