Send mail to different Domains loops back

nano94

Mar 28, 2019
Currently we are unable to send mails to some domains.

We get a loop back to my self from PMG.

Code:
<mailbox@domain.de>: mail for domain.de loops back to
   myself
Reporting-MTA: dns; pmg01....
X-Proxmox-Queue-ID: 213A4140395
X-Proxmox-Sender: rfc822; philipp.kayser@....
Arrival-Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 11:49:08 +0100 (CET)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; mailbox@domain.de
Original-Recipient: rfc822;mailbox@domain.de
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Proxmox; mail for domain.de loops back to myself

pmg.png

Last edited:
The screenshot of the logs you posted seems cut-off - especially the response from mx00.kundenserver.de would have been interesting. Additionally the obfuscation of addresses and hostnames does not help in debugging:
* please paste the complete logs as plaintext
* if you need to obfuscate information - try to keep as much information intact as possible (e.g. replace each hostname with a replacement of its own)

on a hunch: your configuration is missing either:
* adding domain.de as relaydomain
* a default transport entry
* a specific transport entry for the domain in PMG
Thus PMG uses mx lookups when finding the nexthop for domain.com - this seems to point to mx00.kundenserver.de - which in turn seems to point to PMG (guessed based on the '[::]' in the relevant line) - either via /etc/hosts entry or via DNS

I hope this helps!

The screenshot of the logs you posted seems cut-off - especially the response from mx00.kundenserver.de would have been interesting. Additionally the obfuscation of addresses and hostnames does not help in debugging:
* please paste the complete logs as plaintext
* if you need to obfuscate information - try to keep as much information intact as possible (e.g. replace each hostname with a replacement of its own)

on a hunch: your configuration is missing either:
* adding domain.de as relaydomain
Thus PMG uses mx lookups when finding the nexthop for domain.com - this seems to point to mx00.kundenserver.de - which in turn seems to point to PMG (guessed based on the '[::]' in the relevant line) - either via /etc/hosts entry or via DNS

I hope this helps!
Hi Stoiko,
Thanks.

* adding domain.de as relaydomain -> it's already done, because just a few external receipients e.g. with kundenserver mailserver are not working (Maybe it's like a spamhouse listing on their servers?!)

Attached you find the config.

Which log do you need?

Attachments

• options.png
    options.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 45
  • defaultreleaying.png
    defaultreleaying.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 44
  • relay.png
    relay.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 40
  • transport.png
    transport.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 43
it's already done, because just a few external receipients e.g. with kundenserver mailserver are not working
Not sure I understand the argument:
Is PMG used as MX for that domain? (if yes the domain needs to be in the relay domains, if no it cannot be there)
Attached you find the config.
`pmgconfig dump` would be more helpful (since text configs can be obfuscated better and it provides a more complete picture)

Which log do you need?
one where the logs of the complete message are shown (and not cut off, because they don't fit on the screen, like in the screenshot from the tracking center you posted), additionally the outputs of:
Code:
cat /etc/hosts
ping -c1  mx00.kundenserver.de

Not sure I understand the argument:
Is PMG used as MX for that domain? (if yes the domain needs to be in the relay domains, if no it cannot be there)

`pmgconfig dump` would be more helpful (since text configs can be obfuscated better and it provides a more complete picture)

one where the logs of the complete message are shown (and not cut off, because they don't fit on the screen, like in the screenshot from the tracking center you posted), additionally the outputs of:
Code:
cat /etc/hosts
ping -c1  mx00.kundenserver.de
Hi

Sorry for delay.

It's fixed right now. Our DNS server caused wrong results.

Bash:
root@rz-infpmg01:~# ping -c1  mx00.kundenserver.de
PING mx00.kundenserver.de (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.046 ms

--- mx00.kundenserver.de ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.046/0.046/0.046/0.000 ms
root@rz-infpmg01:~#
root@rz-infpmg01:~#
root@rz-infpmg01:~# nslookup mx00.kundenserver.de
Server:        192.168.200.2
Address:    192.168.200.2#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    mx00.kundenserver.de
Address: 0.0.0.0
Address: ::

now i've changed the order in resolv.conf

Bash:
root@rz-infpmg01:~# nslookup mx00.kundenserver.de
Server:        1.1.1.1
Address:    1.1.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Address: 212.227.15.41

Glad that solved the problem - does your other DNS really answer with 127.0.0.1 for mx00.kundenserver.de? or do you maybe have an entry in /etc/hosts pointing there? (in the latter case I'd change the /etc/hosts entry)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!