Selecting bootloader for new installation

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 14, 2016
Hello, I am trying a new test installation of proxmox and I would like use systemd-boot with ext4 or xfs partition. According to the documentation the bootloader is selected automatically based on the selected file system.
Is there a config/flag/hack with which I can force the installation to use systemd-boot with ext4/xfs?
The system is running in UEFI mode bit this doesn't seem to have an effect. I have seen some forums threads for how to migrate from grub to systemd but this seems to much effort.

P.S.
I just don't like grub :) No other issues.

Just to have said it explicitly - make sure you have a working and well-tested backup!
(always a necessity when working with the disk-layout of your system)

In general switching a system installed with grub over to using proxmox-boot-tool is straight-forward.
I tested this quickly in a VM with a single disk - installed with the pve 8.0 ISO - so make sure you have your disk-names correct.
* Assume the system is installed on /dev/sda
* /dev/sda2 is the ESP, which is mounted on /boot/efi in a regular grub setup
The following steps should be enough to switch to proxmox-boot-tool and systemd-boot (if the system is booted in uefi mode:
* remove the `/boot/efi` entry in /etc/fstab (else your system won't come up due to the missing mount)
Code:
umount /boot/efi
proxmox-boot-tool format /dev/sda2 --force
proxmox-boot-tool init /dev/sda2
proxmox-boot-tool refresh

then reboot

I hope this helps!

Thanks, worked like a charm.

Just a minor suggestion - put the " remove the `/boot/efi` entry in /etc/fstab" in the code part as some hasty people my might miss it and need to fire up recovery iso :oops:

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Just a minor suggestion - put the " remove the `/boot/efi` entry in /etc/fstab" in the code part as some hasty people my might miss it and need to fire up recovery iso
hm - not really sure about this one - the changing over to proxmox-boot-tool is really not the main focus or proxmox-boot-tool - and messing around with /etc/fstab by a tool is nothing I'd like any piece of software to do ...

one thing that might make sense is to look for `/boot/efi` in /etc/fstab upon `init` and print a warning in case it occurs...

hm - not really sure about this one - the changing over to proxmox-boot-tool is really not the main focus or proxmox-boot-tool - and messing around with /etc/fstab by a tool is nothing I'd like any piece of software to do ...

one thing that might make sense is to look for `/boot/efi` in /etc/fstab upon `init` and print a warning in case it occurs...
My point to add in the code snipe above - NOT to make this default functionality. Maybe I wasn't clear.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!