Select video output for Proxmox

Oct 21, 2020
Hello everyone!
I'm new so I hope I don't make the typical trivial mistakes of newbies.

I have multiple graphic cards mounted and would like to decide which proxmox comes out with by default.
The best thing actually would be to disable the graphics output altogether so that you can dedicate all possible cards to passthrough.

Feel free to ask me what other information may be useful.

Mostly this is a BIOS/UEFI Setting. If not, mostly the GPU in the first slot is used as default output.
If you can figure out, which output it is, you can make it available for passthrough anyway by setting the following grub parameter:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="_OTHER PARAMETERS_ video=efifb:off"
However, this makes the first slot GPU available for Passthrough, even if proxmox puts out there.

You can find more information here: https://passthroughpo.st/explaining-csm-efifboff-setting-boot-gpu-manually/

Okay, but what's the exact error?

I'm really unable to understand with only a screenshot from the device-manager, sorry.
The fact, that you can forward it and the VM doesn't crash or does not start is a good sign though.

I try to explain better.

The problem is that the operating system, while seeing the presence of the video card, does not use it for graphics acceleration.
The other system (using another card) sees it perfectly.

I tried swapping cards but nothing.

Did I correctly follow your instructions for editing the grub file?

Okay, i guess i got it.

I'm not an expert in this.
I just now a couple tweaks and issues that can occur while PCIe forwarding.
Did you check your BIOS/UEFI if there is any chance to have an option to which GPU is primary output?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!