Segmentation fault

McToledo

Aug 15, 2024
I have a problem when starting the machine, in the installation it was working and I was doing things with the machine, I turned it off and on a different day and the bridge port does not come out I am not able to lift it or make it take any ip just tells me “segmentation fault” when I try to do anything.

What commands exactly cause a segmentation fault for you? A segmentation fault usually refers to some faulty behavior in code, but since you say they are caused by several programs it usually means that either the binaries themselves were corrupted on disk somehow or that your memory is faulty.

You should try to reinstall the concerned packages on your host (this could still work if the packages are cached or you have a redundant network interface that works). If "not able to lift it or make it take any ip" refers to ifupdown2, then e.g. use apt reinstall ifupdown2 should do the trick.

Otherwise, if this does not resolve your problems or you're unable to reach Internet in any way, try to reinstall the system or check for faulty hardware by running a hard drive test (e.g. SMART util) or a memory test (e.g. memtest) (even though the latter seems unlikely for me in the given scenario).

I had to reinstall the system, but I could not run any command, the web interface did not come up because the computer did not catch any ip, so I had no access to the network and I could not reinstall or update things.

How did you setup your network and did you assign the host a correct IP address in the installation dialog?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!