secondary IP as gateway

tincboy

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2010
Hello,
I need to set a secondary IP on my Proxmox server so I can use that IP for gateway on my KVM guests.
I've assigned the IP as virtual vmbr0:0 but while I use that IP as gateway I got almost no connectivity on my guests.

Any suggestion to fix this issue?

Kind Regards

Hello,
I need to set a secondary IP on my Proxmox server so I can use that IP for gateway on my KVM guests.
I've assigned the IP as virtual vmbr0:0 but while I use that IP as gateway I got almost no connectivity on my guests.

Any suggestion to fix this issue?

Kind Regards
Hi,
does it work if you use "ip" to assign a second ip address to vmbr0?
Code:
ip addr add 192.168.11.22/24 dev vmbr0 brd +
ip addr show vmbr0

Udo

Hi Udo, a lot of times that I need to find some help here, your posts always help a lot!

This command ip addr add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx dev vmbr0 brd + saved my life

The problem is only when I'm restarting the server, there is anyway to save this without need to use some startup script on the init.d ?

Thank you a LOT!

Hi Udo, a lot of times that I need to find some help here, your posts always help a lot!

This command ip addr add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx dev vmbr0 brd + saved my life

The problem is only when I'm restarting the server, there is anyway to save this without need to use some startup script on the init.d ?

Thank you a LOT!
Hi,
you can use "post-up ip addr..." in the interfacesection of /etc/network/interfaces.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!