Second Hard Disk Cannot Be Migrated To?

bjr53

May 14, 2015
Hi,

PVE. Great product! Big fan! Many thanks to the Proxmox team!!

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I'm 5 hours deep into Proxmox forums, wiki and Google and have not found a conclusive answer to my question.

BACKGROUND ----
I have a Proxmox cluster where all nodes only have local storage. All guests are KVM. Running Proxmox 3.3 or 3.4. Migration is possible between nodes but only when offline due to the local storage limitations but this is acceptable for our needs. All nodes are using suitable combinations of hardware RAID 5 or 1. Assume discussion of any single disk is actually a RAID array and beyond that the physical combination of and redundancy of disks is both unknown to the Proxmox host and presumably irrelevant to my question.

One of the nodes (node 2) has an 800GB drive with proxmox installed and joined to the cluster. There was space for more disks so a 2TB drive was added as an LVM. The 2TB drive is visible in the web gui and VMs can be created on it.

ISSUE ----
What I can't seem to do is directly migrate a VM from node 1 to the new 2TB storage location on node 2. At least not from the web GUI that I can see. From node 1 I can select node 2 but without more options it will migrate the VM to the original local storage area on the 800GB drive. This is problematic when the VM I'm wanting to migrate exceeds the available free space, or in my case exceeds the entire capacity, of the 800GB drive.

In looking at the qm manual I see qm migrate doesn't seem to allow you to specify a target storage location on the destination node; and qm move_disk seems to be a local only command i.e. a target node cannot be specified.

I've seen some suggestions that you can backup the VM and then during the restore you can specify the target storage area. This seems a bit inefficient and requires a shared storage (3rd) device.

I guess I could create NFS shares on the nodes and copy or rsync the VM's between them directly? I'm hoping there is a more simplistic direct approach. If not, well, so be it.

QUESTION ----
Does the PVE web GUI or terminal command(s) provide the functionality I require here?
If so, what am I missing here?

TIA

Last edited:
I guess I could create NFS shares on the nodes and copy or rsync the VM's between them directly? I'm hoping there is a more simplistic direct approach. If not, well, so be it.

afaik.
with any shared disk storage you can migrate vm or disks live. not together, though.
when you migrate vm with shared storage to another node, you move ram+ conf to the other node, all disks remain on same storage
when you migrate a vm disk to shared storage, you move the disk to another storage, vm ram + conf remain on the same node
more or less

Marco

afaik.
with any shared disk storage you can migrate vm or disks live. not together, though.
when you migrate vm with shared storage to another node, you move ram+ conf to the other node, all disks remain on same storage
when you migrate a vm disk to shared storage, you move the disk to another storage, vm ram + conf remain on the same node
more or less

Marco

I guess the issue is that when migrating between nodes without shared storage (ie you have to migrate both the config and the data storage), where the target node has multiple storage added you cannot choose which storage to migrate the disks onto, i assume it just chooses the first available storage as the target.

It would probably require an extra option, so you can choose the target storage during a non shared storage migration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!