second disk for both VM's and local Backups

jaceqp

May 28, 2018
Hi there.
My 1st hardware RAID-1 volume is set as main Proxmox boot + rest as LVM for VM use.
Now I have a new pair of disks (2nd RAID1). I'm a bit confused with configuring secondary RAID1 storage as VMs VDs + backups.

Easiest way is to create an ext4 full capacity partition and mount it as directory. Though I'm stuck with qcow2 vd format then. I think I might use lvm-thin instead (for VD purposes). Afaik that needs spliting disk in two partition then one of them set up as LVM, second with 'regular' mount as ext4.

Any guide thrtough on that?

LVM guides are all over the internet. I'd configure one big LVM thinpool for the new disks, then simply create an LV on the thinpool, put an ext4 on that and mount it for backups. Add that as both an LVM storage for VMs and a directory storage for backups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!