searching easiest way to convert disk files to qcow2

linum

Renowned Member
Sep 25, 2011
After upgrading my first node to proxmox 2.3 I would like to start using the new snapshot feature. As far as I understand I need to convert the disk files to qcow2 format. Basiclly following the http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Resizing_disks#Optionally_convert_VMDK_images_to_RAW_or_QCOW2 should work but after using "qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 vm-100-disk-1.raw vm-100-disk-1.qcow2" to convert the image I can't add the image within the webgui. Changing tabs, restarting apache, pve-manager and pvedaemin it will always show only the old *.raw file but never the converted *.qcow2 file. Even removing the *.raw file doesn't help. Yes I know I can change the *.conf file directly to use the *.qcow2 extension but I think I must miss something since the link above says nothing about that a manual editing of configuration files are neccessary. pveverion give pve-manager/2.3/7946f1f1.

After upgrading my first node to proxmox 2.3 I would like to start using the new snapshot feature. As far as I understand I need to convert the disk files to qcow2 format. Basiclly following the http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Resizing_disks#Optionally_convert_VMDK_images_to_RAW_or_QCOW2 should work but after using "qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 vm-100-disk-1.raw vm-100-disk-1.qcow2" to convert the image I can't add the image within the webgui. Changing tabs, restarting apache, pve-manager and pvedaemin it will always show only the old *.raw file but never the converted *.qcow2 file. Even removing the *.raw file doesn't help. Yes I know I can change the *.conf file directly to use the *.qcow2 extension but I think I must miss something since the link above says nothing about that a manual editing of configuration files are neccessary. pveverion give pve-manager/2.3/7946f1f1.
Hi,
Code:
qm rescan -vmid 100
is the command where are you looking for.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!