SCSI controller loses tape drives when passed through!?!

proxwolfe

Jun 20, 2020
Hi,

I am running PBS as a VM on PVE.

And I am trying to pass through a SCSI controller to this PBS VM. Actually this works, so the controller is passed through and shows up when I type lspci.

However, within PBS I can't see the tape drives connected to it anymore.

Before passing through the controller, on the PVE host, I can see the tape drives. But once passed through to the PBS VM, the tape drives appear to be gone.

To list the tape drives, both on the host and inside the VM, I use lsscsi.

How can that be? What can I do to get access to the tape drives inside the VM?

Thanks!

i saw sometimes that tape drives don't always show up when they were already on when the scsi controller is initialized, could you try to power cycle the tape drive?
also the output of 'dmesg' from both the guest and the host would be interesting

Maybe I should clarify that it is an SAS controller. Don‘t know, if that makes a difference…

i saw sometimes that tape drives don't always show up when they were already on when the scsi controller is initialized, could you try to power cycle the tape drive?
also the output of 'dmesg' from both the guest and the host would be interesting
Power cycling the drive did not help, unfortunately.

Dmesg out put is quite extensive. Anything in particular that would be of interest? Or should I paste the full output?

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!