Script Backup

Thomasprz

May 18, 2018
Hi everybody,

I'd like to save all my VMs (Debian) in proxmox directly on my Backup Cloud server (Azure).
So i'd wanted planned a Script on each server to allow the backup everynight (midnight) for 7 seven days and then remove all those backup and starting a new cycle with 7 others backup.

I didn't found anything on Google about script and it's not really easy to made a new one , so if somebody has a tips / link / help to give me , i will be really interested

Thanks you so much

PS : SORRY for my english , I'm french :)

Split it up in seperate scripts.

Can you mount azure?

If yes, it should be easy to use Proxmox internal tools to backup to that mountpoint and write a oneliner that cleans up backups older than x days.

Split it up in seperate scripts.

Can you mount azure?

If yes, it should be easy to use Proxmox internal tools to backup to that mountpoint and write a oneliner that cleans up backups older than x days.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I looked on internet and apparently it's impossible to mount azure cloud storage on Proxmox :/
So i think i should doing a script with rsync ...

I do not know what azure can do, but using smb protocol for backup is not very fast and reliable. If azure can use rsync, then is more better. If this is true, you can use rsnapshot on the proxmox side (so on azure you can define retention period as you like using rsync as transport). Even if you only use a smb mount you can use rsnapshot. Another useful thing is the fact that you can also do encryption with gpg with rsnapshot if I remember ;)
And the last thing, rsnapshot is rock solid. I use it for many years without any failure.

Thanks you @ghusson and @guletz

I do not know what azure can do, but using smb protocol for backup is not very fast and reliable. If azure can use rsync, then is more better. If this is true, you can use rsnapshot on the proxmox side (so on azure you can define retention period as you like using rsync as transport). Even if you only use a smb mount you can use rsnapshot. Another useful thing is the fact that you can also do encryption with gpg with rsnapshot if I remember ;)
And the last thing, rsnapshot is rock solid. I use it for many years without any failure.

I don't understand how rsnapshot , so according to you it's impossible to mount directly Azure on proxmox ? i have to do my own script ?
You've told : " you can use rsnapshot on the proxmox side " Where could i do that ?
I have 7 differents containers to save on Azure so i'm a little lost ^^ There are not so much documentations about that on internet

But thanks you so much

You will install rsnapshot on any PMX node, and you will mount Azure/what-ever(let say it could be /mnt/azure). You will create in PMX your backup(with 1 max number of backups). After that you will configure rsnapshot to use as backup folder /mnt/azure/folder, and the location of the source backup(and also your retention plan, daily, weekly, etc). After rsnapshot is installed, you will find a cronjob task, where you will define your time periods when you do this backups.
The rsnapshot config file is very well documented, so take your time to read and understand.

You can install rsnapshot from command line like this:

Code:
apt install rsnapshot

Here you can see some info about this tool

http://www.pontikis.net/blog/howto-rsnapshot-backup

Reactions: r.jochum
You will install rsnapshot on any PMX node, and you will mount Azure/what-ever(let say it could be /mnt/azure). You will create in PMX your backup(with 1 max number of backups). After that you will configure rsnapshot to use as backup folder /mnt/azure/folder, and the location of the source backup(and also your retention plan, daily, weekly, etc). After rsnapshot is installed, you will find a cronjob task, where you will define your time periods when you do this backups.
The rsnapshot config file is very well documented, so take your time to read and understand.

You can install rsnapshot from command line like this:

Code:
apt install rsnapshot

Here you can see some info about this tool

http://www.pontikis.net/blog/howto-rsnapshot-backup

Thanks you so much :)

So if I've understood , I'm set a container with Debian 9.0 and then I install into the container Rsync ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!